Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rambling Man

For those that know me they know that I am a hardcore Bob Dylan fan.  Since the age of 16 I have listened to and consumed everything in the man's discography.  The feeling that I get when I listen to The Freewheeling Bob Dylan is something that I was never able to find in other artists, that is until I heard Joe Pug's debut album The Nation of Heat.  Joe Pug has all of Dylan's strengths and none of his weaknesses.  His writing is spectacular and the timbre of his voice resonates with me in a way that is both very similar to Dylan yet very different.  Since first purchasing the Nation of Heat, it has been on continuous repeat on my Ipod.  I don't know what it is about folk music or Dylan's and Pug's music that sticks with me so much, but my heart craves it and I could not imagine a world without these sounds or these artists.

As of this post I have yet to see Joe Pug in concert. While he has toured heavily since his debut album,  he has not to my knowledge every played a show in Memphis, TN, instead playing several shows in my hometown of Nashville, TN.  I know what you are thinking, "Nashville is only 3 hours a way, so why haven't you gone to see him?."  In response to your question, I can only say stop rubbing it in.  I am a law student during the school year and all of my free time is spent attempting to recover the goop that has become my brain, I don't have the time or the money to travel to see a show.  All of that has changed now that my wife and I have moved to Nashville for the summer. Pug is playing a concert on the 14th of July at the Basement and I plan on being in the front row.  Mr. Pug is a wonderful upcoming artist, who loves giving back to his fans, so if you are in Nashville on the 14th of July please go see him in concert, I promise that you won't be sorry that you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment